Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Out of the mouths of babes


I apologise in advance for a post entirely about my nephew, but indulge me.

My sister and nephew are staying at my parents’ house this week. My mum is away so they are keeping my dad company for a couple of days. I too may have to venture over there at some point but am hoping that this drastic course of action can be avoided.

Anyway, my sister and nephew came round to my place for a bit last night, which included them making suitably approving noises about my new sofa. My sister carefully removed my nephew’s shoes as he had mud on them. To be honest that turned out to be the least of my worries.

My nephew decided he wanted some orange squash so I made him a glass of it. Most if it ended up on the kitchen floor due to him deciding that the best way to drink it was by sticking his fingers in the glass and then licking them. That wasn’t really a problem though, the bigger problem was my computer…

I had left my computer on, but the monitor was switched off. My nephew was playing with the keyboard and I could tell that this was possibly not the best idea due to the various dings it was making. After a while I switched the monitor on and was somewhat surprised to see that that my computer had done this:


I was laughing about how talented my nephew obviously was and turned the monitor round to show my sister and promptly knocked a cup of tea on the carpet. Oops. My sister looked at my computer for ages trying to work out how to fix it and my nephew helped me mop up the tea that was on the carpet. I’m surprised he didn’t start whistling in the hope that it might distract us from the array of disasters. Fortunately I have the internet on my phone so I did a search and it told me how to undo my nephew’s handiwork.

All returned to normal and I was chatting to my sister and we were getting my nephew to make various animal noises. “What noise does a duck make?” “Quack” “What noise does a cat make?” “Meow” “What noise does a cow make?” “Moo”. You get the drift… At which point my phone rang and it was my friend C*. I had a quick chat with her and said I’d phone her back when my sister had gone. But then my nephew really wanted to speak to C and so I handed him the phone. He’s two this week so his powers of communication are somewhat limited, but what did he say when he spoke? That’s right… “Hello, cow”. My sister and I were just killing ourselves laughing and my nephew just looked perplexed at what we were laughing at. When I finally stopped laughing long enough to get the phone back from my nephew, I did apologise to my friend. Fortunately our many years of friendship has stood us in good stead and she wasn’t entirely horrified to have been mistaken for a cow by a complete stranger. She did agree that it was an easy mistake to make though.



*C is not short for cow.

No comments: