Monday, March 19, 2007

Desperately seeking



Another weekend over and sadly a five day working week ahead, which has been a rarity of late. At least I start this week feeling rather more wide-awake than last week. I have a fairly boring week ahead though so I think I need to think of some vaguely interesting social things to do.

Yesterday morning I saw my friend S, as he was in London with his girlfriend for a wedding. I haven’t seen him or spoken to him in ages and it was really good to catch up and I’ll phone him in the next couple of weeks to have a proper catch up. We were talking about another friend whose wife has just had a baby. The baby was born at about 24 weeks and weighed just over one pound. Oh my… I think it has been very touch and go but things baby seems to be looking a lot better now than they did a couple of weeks ago. I still think it is quite touch and go though and given how early the baby was born presumably some of his organs etc are not properly formed. Medical science is an amazing thing but I sometimes wonder if it tries to do too much.

In my bid to escape the grasp of google I am testing out some new search engines. You may have seen the recent adverts for The Information Revolution which is meant to be highlighting the fact that there is a monopoly out there in terms of search engine use, but it is worth pointing out that it is basically a marketing ploy by ask.com and is trying to get you to use their product instead. Interesting, but ultimately just a clever bit of marketing. Anyway, one of the things that I am testing at the moment is metasearch engines, such as dogpile.com which basically trawl a range of search engines such as google, msn and yahoo and then aggregate the results. To be honest I haven’t found anything as good as google yet, but my search will continue and I will hopefully come up with something that is up to the job. Do you think people will ever be saying “why don’t you dogpile it?”

I meant to mention before that I was very amused by this post over at In Search of Adam. I’m sure if you are able to help out by being willing to humiliate yourself show off your musical talent, then she would be very grateful – and might even invite you to the wedding, what with you being her new best friend.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

I'm getting desperate now so many many many thanks for the plug.
This is a serious issue.
Any chance you'll audition????
Please.

Random Reflections said...

Caroline - now there's a question. The problem is that I can actually sing quite well, so I might end up getting selected as one of the future stars, get through all the various rounds without getting voted out and then win the entire competition. I just don't know if I want all the money and fame that goes with being a music star. I think I prefer to share my gift with my shower and anybody who has the pleasure of being in my car with me.

If I have a change of heart I'll let you know though.