Thursday, March 22, 2007

Timing is everything


I had a nice enough day yesterday. I spent most of it at a meeting and got to the end of the day feeling as though I had actually made a contribution and that I was vaguely competent at what I do.

When I got home from work I started to put in the code to switch off the burglar alarm and realised that I had put the wrong first digit in. I stood there feeling all indecisive trying to work out what was best to do in order to stop the alarm going off. All the time aware that the time was ticking down, with moments to spare I managed to come up with a way to restart the code without setting the alarm off. As a result of this I have decided that I never want to have the job of dismantling a bomb. I’d be standing there with the timer ticking down (do bombs really have timers??) and be trying to work out whether to cut the red wire or the blue wire and I can give no guarantee that I would make a decision on this before it was too late. I suggest you call on someone more qualified than me should you ever need such assistance.

When I checked my post there was a letter, which had been redirected from my last address, from the people who service my car. In this letter they had got my name partly wrong, had quoted the registration number of a car that is not mine, told me my car is due for a service (which it isn’t) and that I normally get my serviced at a garage which must be about 100 miles from where I live. Apart from that it was all correct. It’s good to feel like a valued customer.

Should you have a bit of a sweet tooth then this may be the competition for you. Given the speed with which I tend to eat chocolate, I can assure you that you will not be in competition with me for the prize. However, I might actually try and eat my last remaining Easter egg from last year before Easter this year. Oh how I wish we had a late Easter this year…

4 comments:

Walker said...

I almost had an alarm but with my cats it wasn't possible because they would be setting off the motion detectors all the time.
But I rememeber when my parents got theirs and the first day I seen them running down the street because they put in the wrong code and it went off and didn't want to get arrested for breaking into their own house.

Chocolate doesn;t last in this house.
The cats eat it.........ok I eat it, but every month I do mail out some from here http://www.rmcf.com/cp/shop/boxed/boxed.asp? to some unsuspection blogger as a suprise who sent me their mailing address.
Chocolate just makes things nice even for just a bit for some reason

Have a nice day.

Drama Queen said...

Woooo! Hold up. You still have last years Easter eggs. Chocolate lasts like 3 mins in my house. Are you normal? Tell me, you must have a food weakness.

DAB said...

STOP! don't eat a mouthful!...
...
Lets ponder for a moment......
...
...
...
...
OK, I reckon you should save it for say about 50 years. Then you can trot down to the Antique Roadshow with the help of your zimmer frame, get it valued, sell it an auction and live off the profits in your old age ;-)

Random Reflections said...

Walker - the alarm does now mean that it puts pay to any pet ideas, unless it is in a cage or I remove its legs so it can't move. I think that might be quite cruel though...

You are obviously a very generous and kind blogger.

Drama Queen - It's a Cadbury's Hero Easter egg, I just went and checked. My food weakness is probably food itself, I like eating food in large quantities hence my need to have some sort of a fitness regime (which I wimped out of tonight incidentally).

TF - I don't think even I could resist the egg for 50 years, but now you've put the idea in my mind, maybe I'll try.