Thursday, March 15, 2007

Shocked



I have been tired all week from working at the weekend. I really was not designed to work anything other than 9 to 5. Things at work are going fine generally though. The only thing that troubles me with it is that I am doing some ‘management stuff’ at the moment that gives me pause for thought. I am doing it because I have been asked to and I know that I will deal with this person in a way that has that their best interests at heart, but I do wonder if somehow I might end up doing this person a disservice. I can’t explain it all here, but I just really want this person to be treated in the right way and with a bit of integrity and so am concerned that I do the best that I can for him. It worries me though.

Last night I did the same walk as I did last week which misses out part of my tube journey home and hopefully gets me a bit fitter. I walked it about eight minutes quicker than last time (just over 40 minutes), which hopefully means it did me some good. Given how tired I was already, it maybe wasn’t the wisest thing to have exerted myself like that, mind you getting up off the sofa can be quite an exertion for me a lot of the time.

Tonight a friend is coming over to look at my broken living room light. I know how to show someone a good time, as I am sure you already know… I asked him to have a look at it because he is very practical and it was only afterwards that I remembered he actually works in the lighting industry and so is the ideal person to have asked. I think he is coming round tonight to make a diagnosis and will come back and fix it another time. We’re going to have dinner anyway, so it should be a pleasant evening, assuming I can stay awake. My only concern is that if he fixes it it will show up the rather large tea stain on the carpet. At the moment you could think it was a shadow but I think it will be displayed in all its glory once the light is fixed. I guess I will have to consider greater use of mood lighting.

I was truly shocked to read this story yesterday. What is the world coming to when something that is as much of an institution as Blue Peter may be fleecing children of their 50p a week* pocket money. It was bad enough when it was Richard and Judy but now even the programme that teaches you 101 uses for sticky backed plastic and washing up liquid bottles can be corrupted. Nothing is sacred these days. Nothing.

*Are parents allowed to give pocket money below the minimum wage these days?

3 comments:

Drama Queen said...

50p? My cousin gets a fiver. A bloody fiver. A week.

Also trying to walk to work. It means I have to leave an hour earlier, walk an hour there and an hour home. I am so tried from the early mornings / walking. I thought exercise was meant to make me feel better?

Anonymous said...

I like your nephew style, I see a future career in PR....
...
If you have any leftovers from tonight's dinner posted them onto me.... the builder's are in residence, cooking facilities are somewhat primitive in this household. I think I might have to get the barbecue out!

Random Reflections said...

Drama Queen - a fiver? I bet your cousin doesn't even have to go down the mines to earn it. That's the trouble with the youth of today.

When I got home last night I felt so tired and had to go to bed early. I totally agree with your scepticism about exercise being good for you.

TF - My nephew is so cheeky that he could do very well at PR.

Poor you with the builders about, I think it's indian for dinner tonight. I rarely leave leftovers from any meals and it is even less likely tonight. If you get desperate though I'll see what I can do...