Friday, March 23, 2007

Fingers crossed


Yesterday everyone who crossed my path while I was on the tube irritated me. I think this was partly because I was tired but also there were just a lot of irritating people on the tube yesterday- crammed into an even smaller space than normal because the tube system seemed to be a complete mess. My journey took much longer than normal due to trains being taken out of service and delays to “regulate the service”. People were squeezing onto trains that were already full and getting annoyed with fellow passengers for not forming human pyramids to create more space. The other day I read in the paper that TfL allow 0.25 sq metres per passenger. That is a bizarre statistic because as there is no limit on how many people can squeeze on to a tube train, so long as the doors will close, I can’t really see what meaning there is behind that statistic – except that they acknowledge that they don’t envisage passengers having very much space. Anyway on the way home it was better but I did want to ask the woman who was sitting very near to me why she had to chew her gum *that* loudly. Do some people lack the ability to close their mouth when they chew or to exhibit any manners in public??

Anyway, for those who are regular tube users who wish to break away from Oyster card conformity then this may be the place for you. Turn your Oyster card into a protest statement and smile smugly every time you touch in and touch out. You’ll be flying the red flag before you know it.

I think I may have found the answer to my dating issues. An 88 year old widower is looking for a woman to spend the rest of his days with. Mr Sellers (I feel we would have some formality in our relationship) said "I am just into life. I read a lot, and I paint a bit as well. But I want somebody to live with me until I die. I want somebody to love and I want them to love me, I really do. I will put my heart and soul into it." Sounds fair enough to me. He’s not quite what I had in mind but he’s breathing so sometimes you have to compromise in other areas. You should be able to watch the video of him here. How can you get to the end of that video without being in love with him just a little bit already? But BACK OFF- I saw him first!

5 comments:

Pickle said...

Mr Sellers looks adorable. I may have to fight you for him.

I whinge about our public transport here but I would HATE to have to get the Tube so really I should just shut the hell up.

DAB said...

Might be time for you to invest in a paraglider ;-)

Random Reflections said...

Teeny - Was I not clear that he is MINE?? Mind you if he want any of the 'fringe benefits' then I might be willing to reconsider.

The tube is a challenge but it's kind of useful and it would take a long time to walk to work.

TF - Hmm, I like to have a doze on the tube and somehow I suspect that dozing and paragliding do not mix...

Stray said...

Was that 0.25 square meters or centimeters?

Good stat. Like you say - it seems to bear little relevance to the actual experience of using the central line in rush hour, but hey - I'm sure someone got paid to come up with the number!

Sx

Random Reflections said...

Stray - Hi. Hmm yes I see your point. Perhaps it was in fact centimetres. At least it would be more honest of them.

I used to use the central line a lot, you have my sympathies.