Saturday, March 24, 2007

High

Another weekend begins and for once I got to sleep in, so it is a good weekend already. I got home quite late last night, despite having no particular plans for the evening when I went to work yesterday. But there was a leaving drink for someone who I vaguely know and she had invited me along and someone persuaded me that I should go. I went for a quick drink and then ended up being one of the last few people there – even the person whose leaving do it was had gone. That’s really unlike me, but it was a pleasant evening just chatting with a few people I work with. At the end of the evening B who is a chap I work with gave me a hug, as did J who is in the team that I used to manage. It was really nice, a few years ago it would never have crossed my mind to hug people I work with, but I do work with some really great people.

Earlier on in the day I had exchanged a few e-mails with J as I had been talking to someone about some work and I glanced up and just saw a look on J’s face that gave me pause for thought. So when I got back to my desk I sent J a quick e-mail asking if she was ok and she replied and told me a couple of things that were going on with her and we exchanged a couple more e-mails and I offered her some assistance for something she is preparing for. When she got to the pub she came right up to me and thanked me for being so nice to her and later on said that I am one of the really nice managers and one that if you tell them something that you can rely on not to pass it on. I thought that was really nice of her to say and quite made my evening. So at the end of the evening she gave me a big hug and thanked me for e-mailing her earlier and said that she’d take me up on my offer of some help with some stuff she is doing.

As I walked to the station last night the refrain to High by James Blunt went through my mind and whilst the lyrics have nothing to do with yesterday (and the actual video is irrelevant as well, although you might enjoy it if you like ER), here’s the song because there is still something about it that sums up the feeling of last night which is of having done some good and things just seeming ‘right’.


2 comments:

Eddy said...

Just thought I'd say hi. Enjoying your blob. :-)

Random Reflections said...

Hi James. Thanks for leaving a comment. Aren't you thinking about moving to London? It's not such a bad place - 7 million people can't be wrong. Probably...