Friday, March 30, 2007

Gone


I needed to speak to my mum last night, so I phoned my parents’ house and my father answered:

Me: Hello, is mum there?

Father: She’s gone.

Er… she’s left you? She’s dead? Wouldn’t normal people have finished that sentence? When I asked where she had gone my father said she was at the drama group and then hung up. Charming.

Then I phoned my mum on her mobile. We are meeting up tonight but I wasn’t quite sure where we were going to meet.

Mum: You know where I mean. It’s the theatre where we saw 42nd Street [the musical].

Me: Mum, I was still at school when we saw that, that must have been 15 or 16 years ago.

Mum: Oh. Well, we’ll meet there anyway.

Anyway, the reason we are meeting up is because tonight is the night when I get to see Celia Imrie in the flesh and mum is going with me. This is a momentous day for me and the rest of my life may be a disappointment by comparison.

If you are into reading then DailyLit might be the site for you. You can sign up to receive a daily e-mail which is an instalment of a book*. They are well known books such as The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, some of the works of Dickens, Agatha Christie and so on. You don’t have to register or give them any details beyond your e-mail address (which I think is understandable given that they need to e-mail you each instalment). Obviously you could read an actual book made of paper but this just seems to be a nice compromise if for some reason you can’t do that. Of course I do not want to hear that you have signed up to this via your work e-mail address and now spend hours sitting at your desk pretending to be working but really are reading Crime and Punishment (in 241 parts). That would be very naughty.


*You can up the frequency if you want to or just get the next instalment sent through early if you are desperate to know what happens next.

4 comments:

Pickle said...

That is such a good idea! I'm often a bit daunted sitting down with a huge tome of a book (that's reeeally hard to hold up when you're snuggled in bed) so getting a bite sized piece of it via email seems more manageable... I may well sign up, then I can blame you for my drop in productivity at work.

Enjoy Celia tonight!

The Mad Hatter said...

Yeah enjoy Celia chick .. we're off to see Swan Lake tomorrow night so Im looking forward to that :-)

And cheers for the book link ... Im a music freak myself but fairy loves nothing better than gettting stuck into a good book ... she'll be delighted when I tell her :-)

Have a great weekend hun XxXxXxX

DAB said...

hmmmm...... War & Peace, the abridged version, I wonder....
...

Random Reflections said...

Teeny - reading isa great thing and I resent when work gets in the way of it. Just don't get caught...

Maddie - the Celia thing was not to be *sigh*. Enjoy Swan Lake though. I hope fairy enjoys the book link, just don't blame me if she gets so engrossed in reading that she stops talking to you.

TF - even abridged it would probably still be in about 300 installments...