Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The calm before the storm

I feel much better today, as whatever was making me feel unwell yesterday has gone. It was probably a combination of getting up while it was still dark (which I think should be banned), returning to work, and using a mug that had sat on my desk unwashed for the couple of weeks I was on leave. I did wash the mug before I used it, but perhaps I should have used an industrial strength cleaning product.

Last night I phoned and left a message for the woman who might possibly have a spare room, but she hasn’t called me back yet. Hopefully I will speak to her tonight to find out the situation. A friend texted me last night and said that I can store some stuff in her garage if I want and I am also considering offering to loan some of my furniture to a friend who has just bought a house. I don’t suppose he can have very much furniture and so it might help him to spread out the cost of moving a bit more and would mean that my stuff was at least being put to some use. So I am trying not to get stressed and am instead focussing on planning what to do about my impending move.

You will probably have seen the story in the news about the miners in West Virginia. They were trapped in a mine following an explosion and through mis-communication their families were told that all but one had survived, but in fact all but one had died. That must be really awful for the families. It would be hard enough losing someone but being given that brief glimmer of hope to then have it dashed, must make it all the worse.

It is still really quiet at work. In fact there seem to be less people in today than yesterday. There is also the added bonus of my Head of Unit not being back until Monday, so that has made it rather more pleasant to be back in the office. Somebody said to me yesterday that it makes such a difference to the atmosphere at work to not have our Head of Unit constantly giving us a hard time. It is amazing the impact that one person can have on your working environment, but I shall enjoy the peace and quiet while it lasts.

No comments: