Wednesday, January 11, 2006

On being English

This week a list was published of icons that represent England. The twelve items that have been published so far are Stonehenge; SS Empire Windrush; a cup of tea; Jerusalem (the hymn not the place); Punch and Judy; Alice in Wonderland; Holbein’s Portrait of Henry VIII; Angel of the North; The Spitfire; The King James Bible; The FA Cup; and the Routemaster bus.

I have to say that I am not entirely convinced by this list – do they really epitomise what it means to be English? The more cynical amongst us might instead list things such as well... cynicism or maybe sarcasm; football hooliganism; pointless RMT union strikes; a media that can one day be praising someone to the heavens but the next day tearing them to shreds – and the day after that, and the day after that... There is also our rather stilted English accent, just like Hugh Grant, or Renee Zellweger in Bridget Jones, losing sports teams and, of course, phone boxes – with the glass all smashed out.

Although I was born and bred in England, I wouldn’t particularly class myself as English, instead I think of myself as British. I cannot really think of many things that would be classed as purely English. Afternoon tea? A Sunday roast? I am guessing that the Welsh might occasionally have a bit of lamb to go with their leeks or the Scottish some beef to go with their tatties and neeps. A sense of fair play? Well, whilst I hope that is indeed a British trait, I don’t think it is something that can only be claimed by the English. Despite what American films and sitcoms might have us believe we can’t even claim the Queen. There is no Queen of England, she is the Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

It is not that I am opposed to people being identified as English, Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish, I just don’t think there is necessarily anything that is English rather than British.

Hold on. What’s that voice at the back? You’re the voice of Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland? What’s that you’re saying? We can have the Morris dancers? Oh right... erm... thanks... So what do I have to do to be Scottish?

No comments: