Friday, January 13, 2006

The weekend is finally here

Finally it’s the end of the week. I feel totally worn out and am looking forward to falling asleep tonight. I had better make the most of this weekend, as I am off up north next weekend for work. There are a few weekends I have to work each year and sadly next weekend is one of them.

Anyway, money seems to have been a bit of a theme today. Work has paid me my expenses for going to Poland – twice. So they have basically given me £400 for free. Sadly, I can’t keep the money because I would feel really guilty about not paying it back. I once found £5 lying on the pavement and picked it up. It sat on my desk for ages because I just couldn’t spend it – what if it was some poor old lady’s pension? – and in the end I gave it to charity. The annoying thing is that I am sure they wouldn’t notice if I kept the money but I’d feel like I had stolen it, so I had better phone our finance people on Monday and find out how to give it back.

I also got some refunds from London Underground today, but they were totally wrong. They sent me £1.40 per journey, which is nowhere near the amount they should have refunded me. I phoned their Customer Services department and spoke to a complete idiot, who sounded as though I had woken her up. I explained what had happened and she then couldn’t operate the computer system to look at my records. I explained to her the amount I normally got refunded, the journeys I had made and the type of ticket I have and she came up with some really annoying responses such as:

So you have a pay as you go ticket” No, which is why I just told you I have an annual season ticket.
We pay the refund pro-rata and as you get six months free on an annual ticket, that’s why we’ll have refunded the amount we have.” No, I pay for 10 months instead of 12, but as my ticket cost about £1300 last year (they are old refunds London Underground have taken ages to pay) that is still not free!
Actually I don’t deal with refunds, so I don’t know the answer and my supervisor has told me to tell you to write to us because there is no-one here who can help you”. Well, at least it was honest.

I have taken on the might of London Underground before and won and I am sure this will be no exception, but it is annoying nonetheless.

I met up with my friend K this afternoon for a coffee and we talked about the staff survey results and what could be done to make sure some action is taken. She used to work in the unit but was transferred out because she fell out of favour, which is bizarre because she is really good at her job. Anyway, she is considering writing to HR to try and make them take the results seriously. Someone in my team told me that our Head of Unit approached him last night and said “When you filled out the staff survey did you expect them to publish your comments?” By asking the question in the way that she did she was basically forcing him to say whether he had filled out the survey. Which part of it being an anonymous and confidential survey does she not understand?

No comments: