Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Incredulity

I was talking to my sister last night and she was telling me about when she went to my parents’ for lunch on Sunday. Apparently she was talking to dad and he said that mum is thinking of going to Greece for a week. Dad is incredibly bad at explaining things and originally my sister thought the plan was that my parents’ would go there together, but it seems that it is some work related thing that mum might need to do. My sister’s jaw almost hit the floor when he said “I’m thinking about asking [Random] to come and stay for the week”. (She was laughing a lot as she told me). It wasn’t shock that somehow our relationship must therefore have thawed to such a degree that he would deign to have me stay in his house, but that he was totally oblivious to the fact that this was the most unlikely scenario ever. We do speak to each other but it is little more than saying hello and we can be civil because we don't really spend any time together at all. The first time he saw me after he kicked me out of home, which was months afterwards, he called me by my sister’s name and didn’t even notice. Out of sight out of mind I guess. Or in the present case – he is actually just out of his mind.

It is not actually any indication of some grand reconciliation. He has aged very quickly. He is 64 but seems so much older than that. My parents’ are a complete contrast to each other. My mum is really sociable, works full time, has lots of friends and is always off doing things. Dad goes out of the house for a walk round the block or to buy a newspaper and that is about it. He doesn’t work, has no interests and doesn’t really speak to anyone. He just doesn’t want to be at home on his own for a week if mum is away.

My sister did point out to him that he was totally insane to think that I would go and stay with him for a week. I have never spent a night at my parents’ since I left home and have no intention of doing so. It might be slightly more feasible if my mum was there, but there is no chance whatsoever if it was just dad.

It showed what a selective memory dad must have. I just spent most of the conversation saying an ever more incredulous “No! Seriously?!”. Anyway, it was a bizarre but kind of amusing conversation. I won't be packing my stuff just yet to go and stay there for a week. Mentioning packing reminds me that I have still done nothing toward moving this weekend. Maybe I'll start tonight.

No comments: