Monday, January 23, 2006

Summons

I made it into work this morning, although I did set my alarm to go off later than normal and sloped into the office about 9.30. I bumped into two of my team who warned me not to go into the office right away as our head of unit was dealing with some ‘crisis’. However, I thought it would look a bit bad if I turned up much later.

When I went into the office I was instantly summoned to see my head of unit about this ‘crisis’. I wasn’t even able to go and make a cup of tea. Someone in the unit had left a bag on a train containing a document that, although not vital, wouldn’t be ideal to lose. B, who left it on the train, was really upset and I spent a few minutes talking to him and telling him that these things happen sometimes and not to beat himself up about it. Unfortunately while I was having that conversation someone from another unit came over and said they’d heard something had been left on a train. But they didn’t realise was that they were commenting on this in front of the very person who had lost it. It just made B feel even worse than he did already. Poor chap.

My head of unit did also gush about what I had done this weekend. I guess it means that I don’t have to look for a new job then. Whilst it is nice to be complimented, my head of unit is a bit of a ‘sleeping tiger’ and you never know quite whether to believe her. Even if she is sincere you also don’t know if the next conversation you have with her will be with her tearing a strip off you. I work in a strange place.

I was too tired to do anything yesterday evening beyond watch a bit of TV and catch up on some bits. I suddenly remembered that I am moving house next weekend though. Not that I had ever forgotten but my mind had been more focussed on the work I had to do this weekend just gone. I have a lot of packing to do over the next few days if I am going to be ready to move in time. I plan to take Friday off work and need to get a key to the new place so that I can move things in.

Anyway, I am off out to buy some cake.

No comments: