Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Stories

This whole not having a proper weekend thing does not suit me. I still feel the need to catch up on sleep – I was not designed to work more than five days a week. In fact I often doubt that I am even up to working for five consecutive days. However, the good news is that I am off both Friday and Monday. Mainly to move house but also because I just don’t want to be in work. Not for any particular reason, I would just rather have a few days off. I am actually terrible at taking leave and still have 32 days leave to take before the end of the leave year (end of February). It is unlikely that I will achieve this. These two days don’t count because I get lieu time for having worked last weekend. In case you are wondering, I get 25 days a year. So I reckon it is a real achievement to have more than my leave entitlement still left at the end of the leave year - and to have actually taken leave.

Yesterday I got an e-mail from one of the people who we turned down for the jobs we’re advertising. He would like feedback. I knew this chap would ask for feedback when I read his form. I could just tell from the way he wrote it that he would want to know why he hadn’t been selected for interview. Anyway, I am going to meet up with him later to go through his form. I always hate that we have to put in the letter that we will provide feedback. I know that it is helpful to talk people through where they went wrong, but I don’t really like doing it. Fortunately I have kept my notes and hopefully I will find a constructive way to explain that he failed to demonstrate any of the competencies. He got the lowest score of all of the candidates, so this isn’t going to be easy...

Last night I made some phone calls that I had been putting off. I have no problem with talking on the phone I just don’t always like having to make official type calls. I still need to phone the TV licence people to cancel it and get the money back. Anyway, most of the calls have now been made, so that’s good.

I also packed up some stuff. Admittedly not a lot of stuff but the difference between none and some is progress. I have packed some of my books but I do have a lot of books so it isn’t even half of them. I am going to the new place tonight to pick up the key and will drop some of my stuff off. The thing is that I don’t think I have previously explained how little space I will have when I move. In fact my bedroom is so small that I will have to sleep with my feet in the wardrobe (or my head if I want to sleep the other way around). I think you’ll probably agree that is therefore a small bedroom. At the moment I live in a Beatrix Potter story what with giving shelter to a family of mice but I will be moving to live in the Chronicles of Narnia.

6 comments:

creepylesbo said...

I had one once who, after being informed he had not got the job, repeatedly rang us up screaming at us - and the MD - calling us names and demanding to be employed. Woo, boy were we glad we turned HIM down!

Random Reflections said...

I bet that really impressed your company. I suspect he would fail on the "builds good working relationships" competency.

Fortunately I don’t think this chap is going to turn out to be a stalker. He just looked very crestfallen and kept saying “I really let myself down”. I tried to be constructive in my feedback and made suggestions as to how he could improve, but it was a bad application so I could only sweeten the pill so much.

The Gripes of Wrath said...

At least small rooms are easy to heat...*tries to think of other positives...goes blank*

Good luck with the move

Random Reflections said...

The only positive I can think of right now is that it might justify me buying a nice small flat screen TV, as the TV I have at the moment is too big if I want to be able to fit myself into the room as well.

It would merely be for space saving reasons you understand and not to feed my desire for shiny new technology.

The Gripes of Wrath said...

*claps hands* Oh yes, that is exactly why small rooms are an excellent idea.

A teensy weensy digital stereo would maybe fit too...with flat wall-mounted speakers.
(Not to encourage your shiny-things addiction at all)

Random Reflections said...

I like your thinking. I shall consider my options.

However, if I start turning up with too many electrical goods my new landlady will think I am either a burglar or sell drugs. So I had better pace myself. Maybe...