Sunday, January 22, 2006

The Return

Well, I have returned from the deep dark north. Work was actually really good and it was doing stuff like I did this weekend which makes me love what I do – unfortunately we only do these weekend projects three times a year, so the rest of the time isn’t quite as good. One person who was doing some of the work said it was the best weekend of his life. As I believe he is married and has children, I am even more surprised by that comment than I would otherwise be, but people generally seem to have got a lot out of it.

There were only two slight downsides to the weekend. One was getting up at 5.15 yesterday morning, I still feel really tired now. However, it turned out to be a good thing as I wouldn’t have eaten for hours if they hadn’t delivered my breakfast to my room then. Later in the day I was so hungry I could have chewed someone’s arm off. There was just no time to stop from when I started work at 7am right the way through to when I finished at 7pm. One of my colleagues disappeared off when he realised that I was not going to get to eat and came back with some hot food for me. I could have just wept I was so pleased – in case you haven’t realised this yet, my life really is ruled by food.

The other downside was that I had a bit of a run in with someone really senior from my organisation. In fact you can’t get any more senior... I was doing exactly what I was meant to be but he did not take kindly to it. A few of my colleagues saw what happened and said that I was absolutely spot on and had done the right thing, but I was slightly disconcerted by what happened. Anyway, hopefully it will be taken in the spirit that it was intended and I won’t find all my stuff sitting in a crate when I get into work tomorrow.

I did vaguely pick up on the whale in the Thames stuff (thanks though Annie for the update on your site) but access to any form of news was not very practical yesterday. I gather though that the story pretty much dominated the whole of the news yesterday. I think it is kind of sad that it died and had I been in London might have had a look at what was going on, but it seems to have been a really huge story, which seems a bit odd. Slow news day I guess.

In case you have tried to look at the nominations for the Bloggies, I have checked and it seems they have not been published yet. I don’t know what the hold-up is but hopefully they will be available soon. I’ll keep an eye on the site and put it in a post when you can vote.

Anyway that’s all for now and it's time to have a browse through the blogging world over a cup of tea.

2 comments:

Sharelle said...

Feel free to enjoy your tea whilst perusing my blog: I Guess We'll Just Have To Adjust. I hope you like it!

Random Reflections said...

Thanks. It must take a lot of work. I'll have a proper read when I get the chance.