Monday, January 30, 2006

Leeway

Well, I have survived two nights at the new place. Neither mornings have I emerged from the wardrobe followed by either a lion or the Snow Queen. However, I am not commenting on whether I emerge each morning as a super hero, as anonymity is normally a key part of being an effective super hero.

Everything was packed away rather nicely at the new place until I moved the last few bits in and now I don’t have quite enough space. I feel a cull coming on, at least of the mountains of paperwork I seem to have accumulated. I also found out today that the cleaning lady is away for a couple of weeks so I am going to have to vacuum my own bedroom – what kind of service is this?? Apparently if you leave your bed linen out the cleaner will even change your bed for you. I think I can say that this is a rather higher standard of service than I am used to.

My landlady obviously wanted to tell me some of the circumstances surrounding her divorce and mentioned some stuff last night and then a bit more this morning. I did vaguely know her husband and it all sounds rather unpleasant and he now doesn’t have anything to do with his children or her. I am not really one to pry about such things and kind of leave people to tell me if they want to but if they don’t then that is their choice. I don’t mind people telling me, it is just none of my business unless the other person wants to tell me about it. Anyway, she obviously does want to and she isn’t pouring her heart out to me, although it obviously troubles her that her ex-husband has been refused to have anything to do with the children (who are all adults).

What is helpful for me though is that she was saying that she needs a tenant to help pay the mortgage. Although I realise it is a business deal and she isn’t just letting me stay there out of the kindness of her heart, it is kind of helpful to know that I serve a purpose by being there. She also told me that the previous tenant flooded the bathroom, broke the DVD player and destroyed the ironing board and iron and she was fine with all of that. Not that I am accident-prone anyway, but it is nice to know that there is a lot of leeway!

There still don’t seem to be a lot of houses on the market at the moment. The friend I am buying with was trying to arrange a viewing this weekend but the house had already had an offer accepted and there has been nothing else about for ages. Hopefully things will pick up soon, not that I want to move again in the too near future but it would be nice to get my own place.

Anyway, I am off out to a greasy spoon now to go and eat something unhealthy for lunch.

No comments: