Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Guess who

I was talking to my friend K yesterday about someone we’d had a work meeting with just before Christmas. I couldn’t remember the woman’s name and need to send her an e-mail to check on some progress. It ended up like a game of ‘Guess Who’. “Does she have brown hair?” “Does she wear glasses?” “Does she have big ears?” K reckoned she knew who it was so I have some contact details now, but getting in touch and saying “are you the woman with brown hair, glasses and big ears?” might not be the best way to check if I am contacting the right person.

The rat man came back this morning to seal up some vents to stop the mouse returning. However, it seems that the mouse had been rather enjoying the bait that had been put down and in fact was no longer a mouse but was now in fact mice. They not only had eaten the bait but had licked the dish clean, so it had been particularly enticing. So it seems that I am now providing food and a roof for a family of mice, which if I lived in a Beatrix Potter story might be quite heart-warming, but as I don’t, they are just vermin. Anyway the rat man is coming back next week at which point they will have either moved the extended family in or have eaten a fatal dose. It seems that the mouse problem is therefore likely to be resolved the day before I move out which is good for the person who is moving in but not exactly what I had in mind.

No comments: